Since 1899, the Vaucresson family has held ground in the heart of New Orleans’ seventh ward commercial corridor. Robert Levinsky Vaucresson was the family forebear who started as a butcher in the Old St. Bernard Meat Market which was located on the corner of St. Bernard and N. Claiborne avenues. In 1933, the City opened a new market with stalls equipped with refrigerated units adjacent to the old one in the location where the Circle Food Store now stands.
Surviving the Depression, but not the expansion of Circle Food Store, in 1949 Robert L. Vaucresson leased a building blocks down St. Bernard Avenue at N. Johnson Street, where now stands a Liberty Bank branch. He and his wife Julia had six children. Their only son, Robert Anthony “Sonny” Vaucresson starting working in the business in 1939. He took over the business when his father died in 1956.
Sonny Vaucresson is who New Orleanians today knew for his restaurant in the French Quarter and those first days of the Jazz Fest and the French Quarter Fest.
His son Vance has upheld the family business with honor. He participates in other Louisiana festivals and volunteers a great deal of time catering events for organizations such as Dollars for Scholars, Sister of the Holy Family, Friends of NORD, and Bridge House.
In 2005, Hurricane Katrina destroyed our processing facility as well as all the homes of our staff. In an effort to rebuild our business we have gone through many trials, but have started to provide an abbreviated product list that can initially be purchased on the internet with more products added over time. We hope to have our building back up and running in the near future as well as establish other retail outlets to distribute our product in the interim. Many thanks to all who have shown concern for our future and have continued to support us as they have in the past. We will rise from these ashes like a Phoenix and continue to provide quality sausage products for many years to come